Most women seem to suffer from water retention which affects the way they feel, the way they look and their weight too. Water retention could show up in the hands, feet, face, ankles, under eyes, abdominal region, breasts etc. It happens due to various reasons. Instead of going in for diuretics, it is wiser to find and eliminate the underlying cause. The major causes of edema i,e is fluid retention need medical attention.
Tips to prevent water retention
- Reduce intake of salt and sugar
- Increase intake of protein in your diet. eg Paneer sprouted moong, whole pulses, tofu, fish, eggs, low fat curd.
- Check your haemoglobin. If its low, you could take an iron supplement along with a B-complex. If its normal you could increase your intake of fruits and leafy vegetables
- Cut out products made from refined flour completely. These include regular biscuits made from maaida, naan, rumali rotis, burgers, pizzas, white breads, cakes, pastries etc
- Increase intake of vitamin C. The best dietary sources include Guava, Capsicum, oranges, sweetlime, tomatoes, pineapple, sour lime, cabbage
- If you know that eating certain foods causes fluid retention in you then do avoid it. CUtting off offending items will eliminate fluid retention
- Vitamin B6 has been found to lessen symptoms of premenstrual tension and draw off extra body water. Best dietary sources of B6 are whole wheat, brown rice, soya bean, alfa alfa sprouts, wheat bran, whole pulses, green peas.